Opportunities: Be Part of the KN Team
As a volunteer-run club Kanata Nordic’s success depends on member contributions and involvement. It is expected that all members will commit to volunteer in some way through the season for a one-time or longer running volunteer commitment. Some programs, such as racing, will require a set volunteer commitment.
Volunteering can be very rewarding and often you get back more than you put in. Rewards include new skills, new friends and contacts, personal pride and accomplishment, the opportunity to share knowledge and skills, being part of a community and, of course, just having fun. There are Volunteer opportunities are available to suit everyone’s time, schedule and skill set.
Trails & Facility Opportunities
Kanata Nordic Snowshoe Lead
Volunteer will lead the development, marking, grooming and promotion of a snowshoe trail system to complement the Ski trail system. The lead volunteer can involve additional help. Further details can be discussed with an interested volunteer
- Skills Needed: Snowshoe knowledge and comfort with trail marking and mapping
Timeline / Commitment: Can be a multi-year project
Kanata Nordic Facilities Coordinator
Reports to : Executive /President
- Attends monthly Executive board meetings. (Sept- June), prepares annual facilities budget
- Identification of program items required and coordinates cabin set up for the season – tables, chairs, program items, hot chocolate items, heaters, etc.
- Coordinates with Wesley Clover Parks to plan and manage any snow removal needs; also plans for snow removal for trail access from parking lots, cabin path/steps and ski rack access snow removal
- Coordinates purchase and delivery of firewood for the season
- Plans and coordinates parking control during high volume times (Sat pm); aparking lead can be identified for this task
- Coordinates withWesley Clover Parks about site issues, gate opening/closing, gate lockboxes, cabin lockboxes as necessary
- Ensures that miscellaneous facilities and chalet items are purchased and in place – sand/salt/ mats/ trash bins, trash bags, shovels, etc.
- Arranges for portable restrooms for season and special events
- Works with Events Coordinator for facilities needs during special club events, such as the Ski Swap, Pretzel Race and Snow Day
- Investigates and coordinates purchase and setup of any new structure, or storage infrastructure (such as storage tents, gravel placement in maintenance area)
- Additional facilities tasks as identified as the club grows.
- Skills Needed: Organization
- Commitment: Club Executive Position; year long onsite and offsite commitment
Contact Gene Vigneron to Volunteer
Kanata Nordic Signage / Mapping Lead
- Role Type: Lead volunteer; onsite and offsite.
- Skills Needed: Simple carpentry skills
- Task: Installation of signs and Mapboxes.
Commitment: 1 year, but can continue forward.
Bunnyrabbit & Jackrabbit Opportunities
Leader / Assistant for Learn to Ski Program – Jackrabbits
- Skills Needed: Skiing experience at various levels
Time Commitment: Saturdays from 1:30 to 3:30, Jan. 6 to Mar. 10
Opportunities: Jackrabbit 1 (one leader), Jackrabbit 2 (two leaders), Jackrabbit 4 (one leader)
Manager of Hot Chocolate Break
- Skills Needed: No specific skills
- Time commitment: Saturdays from 1:00 to 3:00, Jan. 6 to Mar. 10 (and some additional organization time in December)
- Key Deliverables:
- Create a Schedule
- Purchase Supplies
- Ensure smooth running of the breaks
Youth Ski Program Opportunities
Leader / Assistant for Learn to Ski Program – Jackrabbits
Assistant coach for the teen ski fit program. Sharing the instruction duties in teaching the skate ski technique.
- Skills Needed: ICC and CC coach certification
Time Commitment: 2 sessions per week in the ski season and Saturday mornings in the fall
Snow Day 2018 Planning Volunteers & Onsite
- Time Commitment: a few hours before; 1 or more hours during the event. One-time event support onsite and offsite options.
- Prior to the event we need someone to help line up a food vendor (some preliminary work already done here)
- Prior to the event there’s help needed to scope out the different volunteers needed at the event, and to brainstorm ideas
- Day of the event help is needed onsite; mostly light organizational stuff and also facilities work like preparing a bonfire, moving some tables, etc.
- Skills Needed: Good level of written French proficiency and familiarity with general xc skiing and trail terminology.
- Key Responsibilities: Translate English text into French.
- Time Commitment:Most of the need is later summer and early fall; can be done anywhere.
Canadian Eastern Championships – Various Volunteer Opportunities
Get ready for one of the largest x-c skiing events of the year in Canada!
The Canadian Eastern Championships (Feb 2nd-Feb 4th, 2018) are being organized with the collaboration of all ski clubs in this region: Chelsea Nordiq, Kanata Nordic, Nakkertok, Skinouk, XC Ottawa and XC Chelsea Masters. More than 600 athletes and 300 spectators from every province in Canada and across the US will be at this three-day race series being held at the Nakkertok South ski facility in Cantley, QC. The official race website is at www.cecski.ca.
To make this event successful we need your help! Volunteering is a great way to meet other members of the ski community and the volunteer contribution that you make will benefit your own ski group as revenues generated by this event are shared according to the volunteer hours amassed by each club.
To volunteer, please go to http://easterns.ivolunteer.com/. Detailed instructions on how to sign up for volunteering are at the bottom of this page. It’s really easy! iVolunteer will be used for communicating with all Easterns 2018 volunteers so please make sure your spam filter is set to allow emails from iVolunteer.com.
If you have any questions contact one of the Easterns Volunteer Coordinators,
Additional volunteer opportuniteis will be shared throughout the season, including opportunities for high school students to gain Community Service hours with Kanata Nordic.
Or you may have an idea of a role you can fill that we have not thought of before. To find out more or pass on your ideas, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.